North Shropshire Constituency
NORTH SHROPSHIRE Constituency covers an area of 935 square kilometres or 231,095 Acres of the Northern part of Shropshire. North Shropshire Constituency has a population of just over 82,000. North Shropshire Constituency stretches from the Welsh border in the West to Staffordshire border in the East with Cheshire to the North.
The largest settlements in North Shropshire Constituency are:
Oswestry, Market Drayton, Whitchurch, Wem, Ellesmere, Whittington, Gobowen, Prees, Shawbury, Weston Rhyn, Baschurch, St Martins, Llanymynech, Hodnet, Ruyton-XI-Towns, Myddle, Hinstock, Kinnerley, Cheswardine and Woore.
North Shropshire Liberal Democrats
Since 2015 North Shropshire Liberal Democrats have grown massively. During 2019 alone our membership doubled over the summer and autumn. We have been training up our members and activists and putting those skills to good use in:
- the 2019 European Elections where we helped the Lib Dems come second in Shropshire and return Phil Bennion to the European parliament.
- the 2019 General Election, we doubled our vote share in the face of a massive squeeze on our vote and a swing away from Labour to the Conservatives. Helen Morgan did a fantastic job as our candidate and we have plenty to build upon going forward.
What next for North Shropshire Lib Dems?
2021 Shropshire Council elections
Liberal Democrats are the largest opposition group on Shropshire Council. The Conservatives are doing an appalling job of running Shropshire Council. – just like the Conservatives are doing an appalling job nationally. Wasting money hand over fist on crackpot schemes and failing to address the black hole in their budget:
- Failing to invest in money-saving environmental projects in a timely manner – LED Street Lights and solar panels wasting years of accumulated savings on energy bills.
- Spending £52 million of Shopping centres in the face of a declining retail sector, without getting a proper valuation and losing £2 million instantly and a further £11 million in the first year.
- Giving the Chief Executive multiple massive pay rises.
We are looking to hold the Conservatives to account and expand our seat tally in 2021. If you are interested in standing please get in touch.
There are 20 divisions in North Shropshire constituency:
- Market Drayton East – covering 3585 hectares
- Llanymynech- covering 6333 hectares
- St. Martin’s – covering 4357 hectares
- Shawbury – covering 5898 hectares
- The Meres – covering 11906 hectares
- St. Oswald – covering 4928 hectares
- Whittington – covering 4938 hectares
- Ruyton and Baschurch – covering 6441 hectares
- Gobowen, Selattyn and Weston Rhyn – 2 members covering 5501 hectares
- Hodnet – covering 9396 hectares
- Wem ED – 2 members covering 6847 hectares
- Whitchurch South – covering 4331
- Prees – covering 9039 hectares
- Cheswardine – covering 6863 hectares
- Oswestry East – 2 members covering 350 hectares
- Whitchurch North – 2 members covering 1609 hectares
- Oswestry South – covering 250 hectares
- Ellesmere Urban – covering 493 hectares
- Market Drayton West – 2 members covering 315 hectares
- Oswestry West – covering 139 hectares