The NHS and social care services are in a state of crisis. The Conservatives have left them chronically under-funded, and staff embattled and undervalued, while need continues to grow and patient care suffers.
Liberal Democrats will protect these vital services – funding them sustainably, supporting and valuing health and care workers, and joining up health and social care – so people are able to live well at home.
More at: https://www.libdems.org.uk/health
There are two options in the consultation:
Did you know?
- NHS has 100,000 job vacancies.
- 40,000 are for nursing posts.
- Chief Exec of NHS England, says it needs:- at least £4bn to meet its commitments- and at least 4% increase this year.
- The Government is giving it 1%
- Social care facing £2bn black hole this year.
- Shropshire Council cutting £4.74 a week from Minimum Income Guarantee for pensioners receiving adult social care
- Shropdoc will no longer be taking out of hours calls on health issues from this summer. The NHS’ 111 service will take over
Future Fit Consultation
The SaTH are consulting on the reorganisation of Shropshire’s two main Hospitals – The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital and the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford. The NHS Future Fit consultation (English || Cymraeg )has now been extended to the 11th of September.
We would rather we weren’t in this invidious position of playing one hospital off against the other. It would have been far better if a new modern hospital was built between Shrewsbury and Telford next to the A5 and the old sites mostly sold off.
For the benefit of the majority of Shropshire and people over the county border, North Shropshire Liberal Democrats are recommending Option 1
This is a hugely important consultation. The
NHS has agreed to a budget of £312million, the largest capital grant in England in the current round, to deliver the transformation programme.
This is the biggest capital investment our county has ever seen. Please take part
Save the NHS and Social Care with a 1p tax rise
Liberal Democrats think that a new ring-fenced income tax top up of 1p in the pound to directly fund the NHS and Social Care is now needed. We also think that the NHS and Social Care should be merged into a new National Care and Health Service. Research by YouGov shows that the public is open to the idea of raising money through tax or National Insurance in the face of this crisis.
— YouGov (@YouGov) July 4, 2018
NHS and Social Care Crisis
To persist as we are is madness.
We have already had:
- A winter crisis in 2016/17 described by the Red Cross as a ‘Humanitarian Crisis‘;
- Staff shortages due to funding problems and foreign staff leaving due to Brexit;
- increasing wait times for operations, to be seen in A&E and for the ambulance service to deal with an incident;
- An ageing population and a social care crisis;
- Rural Maternity Units suspended, reopened, suspended again, reopened, only to close again, probably indefinitely;
Liberal Democrats believe that the only sustainable way to save our vital NHS and Social Care services is to:
- Merge the NHS and Social care into a new Nation Health and Care service
- Take Politics out the NHS
- Properly fund the NHS with a 1p rise in income tax